Children’s Library Coordinator—Early Literacy—Part-time
Poplar Bluff Municipal Library seeks an individual with a background in early childhood literacy and development.
The Early Literacy Coordinator provides early literacy experiences to infants through preschoolers. Under the supervision of the Children’s and Young Adult Services Librarian, responsibilities include planning and presenting story times, collection development responsibilities (print, games, toys, and eresources), and programming with an emphasis on promoting early literacy development. This individual will participate in community events both on site and off site as appropriate. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to engage children cognitively and kinesthetically.
In addition to early literacy responsibility, this individual will work in the children’s library with some responsibility in other areas of the library.
Other duties include:
• Perform all duties of a page, shelver, and clerk as needed
• Trains pages, shelvers, and clerks
• Performs materials processing, book repair, as related to the
• Prepares statistical reports for supervisor
• Maintains appearance of department and areas of responsibility
• Answers telephone and directs calls appropriately
• Answers ready reference questions
• Assists with Reader’s Advisory
• Navigates the Internet and library databases
• Troubleshoots basic computer, printer, and copier,
• Assists patrons with laptop, desktop, or mobile device needs
• Relays patron requests and needs to supervisor
• Follows all library policies and procedures
• Recommends supply orders and maintains supply inventory
• Works with library staff to identify tasks to be performed by volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
In addition, applicants must possess and demonstrate skills in:
- Customer service
- Basic knowledge and use of PCs, MACs and mobile devices
- Basic knowledge and use of Microfilm equipment
- Telephone etiquette
- Knowledge of Internet navigation
- Knowledge of social media
- Ability to connect peripherals such as jump drives
- Ability to exhibit good judgment and establish effective working relationships with staff and colleagues within the library
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
- Proide initiative with implementation skills.
Individuals applying must be able to work regularly scheduled evenings and weekends. Work schedules average 25 hours per week Sunday through Saturday.
Must be able to lift 30 pounds of books and move book carts weighing 200 pounds. Must be able to reach 84” and stoop to floor to shelve and/or inventory collection materials. Must be able to see with corrective lenses and to hear normal conversation. Must be licensed to drive and have reliable transportation.
Pay: Grade 4, Step 1